Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman beaten to death, niece arrested
BEEKMAN, N.Y. (WABC) -- An elderly woman is accused of beating her aunt, her much older aunt.
She is 78-years-old. But Dutchess County investigators say Marilyn Gerathy is the suspect, not the victim, in a fatal beating that ultimately killed an 89-year-old woman.
That woman is Gerathy's aunt, Dorothy Howie.
They lived together in a house in the Poughquag section of Beekman.
Michele James is their next door neighbor.
"No, I can't believe that. No, I find that very hard to believe. (Have you bumped into her?) I haven't seen her lately, but I am really shocked," James said.
Dutchess County sheriff's deputies arrested Gerathy last week after a lengthy investigation that started when the 78-year-old called 911 back on Mother's Day.
"Immediately the story didn't seem to add up, the story that we were getting compared to her injuries. So our detective bureau was brought in to investigate and uncovered the fact that she was assaulted by Ms. Gerathy," said Captain John Watterson, of the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office.
Last month, a grand jury indicted Gerathy on felony charges of manslaughter, assault, and endangering the welfare of a vulnerable elderly person.
After the attack, the victim was rushed to a Poughkeepsie hospital where, nine days later, she died from her injuries.
"Ms. Gerathy is accused of beating Ms. Howie with her hands to the point where she caused significant bruises and injuries and then leaving her for several hours without medical care," Captain Watterson said.
"It's tragic and unfortunate for both of them at this point. It's a very sad thing," said Leann Stein, a neighbor.
dutchess county, assault, elderly abuse, manslaughter, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 45 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 59 min ago
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 34 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 51 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25 59 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos