Northern Suburbs News
Calls for Monticello mayor's resignation after DWI arrest
MONTICELLO, N.Y. (WABC) -- A local mayor is under arrest, and this isn't the first time he's been in trouble.
There are growing calls for him to resign.
Gordon Jenkins is out on bail after his arrest for drunk driving, among other things.
He's the mayor of Monticello in Sullivan County.
"He is not a bad person, but his behavior doesn't help the village. (Should he step down?) I believe the Mayor should step down," said Carmen Rue, a Monticello Village Trustee.
Monticello Village Trustee Carmen Rue has seen enough.
She wants the Mayor and Village Manager Gordon Jenkins to step down. The 53-year-old was arrested Friday night by village police officers on charges of driving drunk, speeding, and obstruction.
"You should know that you're life is not private, that your life is going to be public. So you have to give a good example to your community," Rue said.
Police say the mayor was seen acting strangely at an accident scene on Broadway right outside a Chinese restaurant and directly across the street from the mayor's beauty supply store.
Police later caught up with the mayor behind the wheel of his car and arrested him. Investigators say while in custody, the mayor damaged a wall clock at police headquarters.
Those who know Jenkins say the behavior is not part of the mayor's character.
"I'm saying 'no', because Gordon is not that stupid. I don't believe it, no, because Gordon is not that type of person. I've never known him to drive drunk, you know," said Betty O'Bannon, a Monticello resident.
In a phone call, the mayor told Eyewitness News he wanted to tell his side of the story but on the advice of counsel, he would say nothing further.
Late Monday afternoon, his attorney released a statement saying in part, "Mayor Jenkins rejects calls for his resignation. He believes he is fully capable of fulfilling the duties of mayor and village manager, as he has been doing. He will answer the charges against him in a respectful and professional manner."
sullivan county, dwi, drunk driving, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 49 min ago
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment 5 min ago
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 11 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
37 min ago