Northern Suburbs News
New Rochelle High School classes to resume
NEW ROCHELLE (WABC) -- Students at New Rochelle High School in Westchester County will be back in class on Thursday after a telephone threat forced officials to end the school day early on Wednesday.
Dr. Jeffrey Korostoff, Interim Superintendent of Schools, says shortly before noon, two phone calls were received by the Principal's Office and Assistant Principal's Office at New Rochelle High School threatening the safety of the adults and students in the building.
Students and staff were evacuated, and then sent home for the day.
Capt. Schaller with the New Rochelle Police says the threat is still under investigation. Schaller said in one of the calls, the person said something to the effect of "I'm going to blow the place up."
At approximately 2:45 p.m., clearance was given by the New Rochelle police that it was safe for staff members to re-enter the school. The last group of students who returned from their BOCES Program was dropped off and supervised alongside North Avenue until busses could take them home.
Law enforcement authorities are working closely with District officials in an effort to identify the individual who placed the threatening phone calls.
Because of the incident and investigation, school officials canceled Wednesday's Night School Program, Adult Education Program and all extra-curricular activities at the High School including athletic events.
Classes will resume on Thursday morning. Students are asked to report to their Period 4A classes at 8:15 a.m. in order to retrieve their personal belongings. At 8:30 a.m., first period classes will begin.
new rochelle, school threat, school evacuation, northern suburbs news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 56 min ago
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records 44 min ago
- Orange County school evacuated after ceiling collapse
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos