Northern Suburbs News
Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
WASHINGTON -- Members of the Newtown, Conn., community, including the parent of a teacher killed in a school shooting massacre last year, are joining a vigil at the National Cathedral to remember those killed by gun violence.
Religious leaders and families are gathering Thursday afternoon for a gun violence vigil. Singer Carole King will perform during the service.
Gilles Rousseau of Southbury, Conn., is scheduled to speak about his daughter Lauren Rousseau. She had just become a full-time teacher last year at Sandy Hook Elementary School. She read to her students as a gunman invaded the school, trying to calm them.
The cathedral has advocated for gun control after the school shooting. The Very Rev. Gary Hall, the cathedral's dean, has said the "gun lobby is no match for the cross lobby."
connecticut news, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97