Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers fire destroys store, displaces 200
YONKERS (WABC) -- Hundreds of people are displaced from their homes Friday after a massive fire tore through a discount store in Westchester County.
The four-alarm blaze broke out at a Dollar K discount store on South Broadway in Yonkers around 4 p.m. Thursday, and it took firefighters six hours to get the flames under control.
About 200 people were evacuated, and dozens were being aided by the Red Cross.
Seven firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The dollar store was completely destroyed, and buildings on both sides were evacuated. A nearby school was turned into a shelter, and at least 25 people reportedly stayed there overnight.
Fire officials say 18 fire companies and 63 firefighters worked to put out the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
westchester news, westchester county, yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Explosion, fire reported in East Harlem 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 17 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 54 min ago
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos