Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers fire destroys store, displaces 200
YONKERS (WABC) -- Hundreds of people are displaced from their homes Friday after a massive fire tore through a discount store in Westchester County.
The four-alarm blaze broke out at a Dollar K discount store on South Broadway in Yonkers around 4 p.m. Thursday, and it took firefighters six hours to get the flames under control.
About 200 people were evacuated, and dozens were being aided by the Red Cross.
Seven firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The dollar store was completely destroyed, and buildings on both sides were evacuated. A nearby school was turned into a shelter, and at least 25 people reportedly stayed there overnight.
Fire officials say 18 fire companies and 63 firefighters worked to put out the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
westchester news, westchester county, yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 1 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 4 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos