Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers fire destroys store, displaces 200
YONKERS (WABC) -- Hundreds of people are displaced from their homes Friday after a massive fire tore through a discount store in Westchester County.
The four-alarm blaze broke out at a Dollar K discount store on South Broadway in Yonkers around 4 p.m. Thursday, and it took firefighters six hours to get the flames under control.
About 200 people were evacuated, and dozens were being aided by the Red Cross.
Seven firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The dollar store was completely destroyed, and buildings on both sides were evacuated. A nearby school was turned into a shelter, and at least 25 people reportedly stayed there overnight.
Fire officials say 18 fire companies and 63 firefighters worked to put out the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
westchester news, westchester county, yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 57 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 4 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 43 min ago