Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers fire destroys store, displaces 200
YONKERS (WABC) -- Hundreds of people are displaced from their homes Friday after a massive fire tore through a discount store in Westchester County.
The four-alarm blaze broke out at a Dollar K discount store on South Broadway in Yonkers around 4 p.m. Thursday, and it took firefighters six hours to get the flames under control.
About 200 people were evacuated, and dozens were being aided by the Red Cross.
Seven firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The dollar store was completely destroyed, and buildings on both sides were evacuated. A nearby school was turned into a shelter, and at least 25 people reportedly stayed there overnight.
Fire officials say 18 fire companies and 63 firefighters worked to put out the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
westchester news, westchester county, yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- At least 2 dead, 22 hurt in East Harlem explosion 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion 33 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East... 23 min ago
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect... 33 min ago
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem 38 min ago
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15... 39 min ago
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion... 39 min ago
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination