Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers fire destroys store, displaces 200
YONKERS (WABC) -- Hundreds of people are displaced from their homes Friday after a massive fire tore through a discount store in Westchester County.
The four-alarm blaze broke out at a Dollar K discount store on South Broadway in Yonkers around 4 p.m. Thursday, and it took firefighters six hours to get the flames under control.
About 200 people were evacuated, and dozens were being aided by the Red Cross.
Seven firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The dollar store was completely destroyed, and buildings on both sides were evacuated. A nearby school was turned into a shelter, and at least 25 people reportedly stayed there overnight.
Fire officials say 18 fire companies and 63 firefighters worked to put out the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
westchester news, westchester county, yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 33 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings 29 min ago
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 11 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 27 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos