Northern Suburbs News
Greenwich police arrest suspect in hit and run
GREENWICH, Conn. (WABC) -- Greenwich police have arrested a restaurant worker in the hit-and-run death of a Middlebury woman.
Vyacheslav Cherepov did not utter a word as he stood emotionless at his arraignment.
His attorney entered his not guilty plea in Stamford Supreme Court.
"Under these circumstances I think a $150,000 bond is more than appropriate," the defense said.
The 26-year-old restaurant worker from Ridgefield was driving his car in a Byram parking lot early Saturday morning, police say and is charged with striking 21-year-old Meghan Beebe who had been out with friends earlier.
But as she lay seriously injured on the ground Cherepov, police say, stopped briefly after hitting her, then suddenly began driving away, dragging the woman under his car for more than two blocks.
"That is disgusting because what about if that person belong to his family," said Mercy Llerena, a neighbor.
Reaction from neighbors like Mercy Llerena is also one of shock.
Police talked to her and other neighbors hoping someone saw something.
But it was when police spotted Cherepov's car back in the lot Sunday that they had their suspect.
"They surrounded the car immediately. They took pictures. They take fingerprints. They are looking under the car, they examined the car so well," Llerena said.
Cherepov was first charged with evading, but in court Monday an additional charge was more serious.
"And then there is the manslaughter arising from the conscious risk and the indifference to human life that he displayed. Based on that we feel that even a higher bond would be appropriate," the prosecutor said.
"I'll increase the bond to $750,000," the judge said.
Meghan Beebe was studying sociology at the University of Massachusetts.
Her father, on his Facebook page, said he could understand the accident occurring, but could not forgive the driver who left the scene.
connecticut news, connecticut, greenwich, hit and run accident, northern suburbs news, tim fleischer
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 56 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 44 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 52 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 45 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 10 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
59 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
34 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos