Northern Suburbs News
Pair of Yonkers fires leave 2 hurt, 70 displaced
YONKERS (WABC) -- Dozens of people are out of their homes Wednesday following separate fires in Yonkers.
Some of the residents had to be rescued from the second floor of their burning home as flames spread all around them.
The first fire, which went to three alarms, broke out on the top floor of an apartment building on Riverdale Avenue around 6:45 p.m. and left two people seriously injured.
Two men were pulled from the building suffering from burns and smoke inhalation. They were rushed to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx in critical but stable condition.
Crews were able to contain the flames and keep them from spreading throughout the entire building.
About 50 people were forced out of their homes, and the Red Cross was aiding the victims.
The second fire was a four-alarm blaze that began around 9:30 p.m. at a multi-family home on Beech Street.
Arriving firefighters found flames shooting out the back of the four-story home and several residents hanging out of upper floor windows.
"We had fire blowing out the rear of the structure and people in the windows in the front who could not exit the building," Assistant Fire Chief Eric Dronzer said. "So we laddered the building with ground ladders and our tower ladder, and we were able to rescue the people from the windows."
The harsh icy conditions caused hydrants and fire hoses to freeze.
No one was seriously hurt, but nine firefighters suffered minor injuries and exhaustion after officials said many of them had also responded to the earlier fire.
Around 20 people were displaced.
westchester news, westchester county, yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card 27 min ago
- Man arrested in unprovoked Brooklyn subway platform assault 16 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 5 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos