Northern Suburbs News
Popular sports complex collapses in Nanuet
NANUET, N.Y. (WABC) -- Throughout the day a steam stream of gawkers came to see the destruction - the crumpled ruins of what was part of the West Rock Sports and Entertainment Complex.
A 35-thousand square foot section of roof collapsed, buckling under the weight of the snow. The collapse damaged a gas line, which sparked a small fire. Luckily, the facility was closed because of the weather. Two maintenance workers made it out safely. On a typical night there would have been as many as 60 kids practicing on the indoor turf field.
The collapse wasn't the only one in Rockland County. Early Friday morning the roof of an unoccupied garage in congers came crashing down. Again, no one was hurt.
Experts say there are thousands of buildings in Rockland County alone that are at risk of collapse.
Rockland County's fire coordinator says snow should be removed from buildings with flat roofs or lightweight construction to prevent a disastrous loss of property or a potentially tragic loss of life.
northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 58 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze 58 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash 46 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
59 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex...
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
44 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
58 min ago