Northern Suburbs News
Video captures principal dragging little girl
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WABC) -- A principal is caught on camera dragging a child through the hall, and she wasn't fired.
Parents are outraged over the surveillance video that has just come to light.
It shows the 5-year-old child being dragged by her feet along a hallway at a school in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Another clip shows the adult yank the girl by the arm and leg.
That's allegedly the school principal.
"After seeing the videos, she dragged my daughter like she was some kind of animal," said Nakeya Hargrove, the student's mother.
Nakeya Hargrove says her daughter was afraid to go to Tisdale Elementary School.
She only found out about the March 2012 incident after a worker with the Department of Children and Families told her months after it happened.
"Who in their right mind let a principal go back to any school in Bridgeport and be a principal again?" Hargrove said.
"I still cringe when I see this, still cringe when I see this," said Sandra Kase, Chief Administrative Officer of Bridgeport Public Schools.
Chief Administrative Officer Sandra Kase says Principal Carmen Perez-Dickson should have been fired regardless of her more than 30 years with the district.
But after executive sessions with the Bridgeport School Board last year, Perez-Dickson was put on six months of unpaid leave, and then she's supposed to get an administrative job.
"Principals are supposed to be protectors of children, they're not supposed to hurt children," Kase said.
Kase says it is only acceptable to restrain a child if the student is a danger to themselves or others.
She points out that Perez-Dickson could be principal again, but that decision is up to the new superintendent.
"I can't speak for that superintendent, however I know that that superintendent believes as we do that children need to be safe," Kase said.
"You don't put your hands on no children like that, especially a principal," Hargrove said.
connecticut news, connecticut, bridgeport, northern suburbs news, carolina leid
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos