Northern Suburbs News
Firehouse fire in Golden's Bridge, Westchester County
LEWISBORO, New York (WABC) -- Fast-moving flames significantly damaged the Golden's Bridge Firehouse in Lewisboro, New York on Monday.
"It's embarrassing to call 9-1-1 and say there's a fire at your firehouse," Ed Brancati, Goldens Bridge FD Board of Commissioners, said.
But that's exactly what Brancati did about 9:15 this morning. He and one firefighter were inside the Goldens Bridge firehouse when he noticed smoke coming from an upstairs heater, so he went downstairs to investigate.
"I went down as far as I could. I could look around. I saw an orange glow. And then there was some type of explosion and I said I think it's time to get out of here," he explained.
Flames quickly spread through the northern Westchester County firehouse as nearly 100 firefighters from more than a dozen nearby companies responded to the scene. It took all of them more than 2-hours to get the fire under control. The firefighter inside the building suffered smoke inhalation, but is okay tonight.
"The challenge was getting their equipment out and then trying to get back in. I mean we are working around three pieces of apparatus that are still in the firehouse that we were unable to get out. So it was just a challenge getting manpower here to get in there," Chief Jason Blauvelt, Croton Falls Fire Dept, said.
The volunteer company dates back to 1909. It is one of three fire departments in the town of Lewisboro. Brancati called the fire a 'severe catastrophe' to the department and the community.
"There's a half million dollar rescue truck that's probably done. There's two SUV's that are probably lost as well, not to mention the structure," he said.
Authorities say the smoke detectors at the firehouse were hard wired and the investigation continues into what was being heard.
Investigators say the fire was accidental. They believe the fire originated from a faulty electrical connection to a fire truck while parked inside of the firehouse.
northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Missing11-year-old Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 10 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 53 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing11-year-old Brooklyn boy found safe...
22 min ago