Northern Suburbs News
Fire burns through home in Mount Vernon
MOUNT VERNON, New York (WABC) -- Fire crews are on the scene battling a blaze in Mount Vernon in Westchester County.
The 2nd alarm fire gutted the home on South 7th avenue just after 9 a.m. The fire was believed to have started in the basement of the home, which was divided into two apartments.
Fire officials say all the residents of the home were able to get out safely.
A firefighter suffered minor injuries.
"Fire was coming out of the basement window and first floor window (when we arrived) People were evacuated when we got here and we assisted in the evacuation," said Deputy Chief Michael Corrato.
Six people of an extended family were left homeless due to the fire.
westchester news, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 45 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 12 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 3 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest