Northern Suburbs News
Fatal accident closes lanes on NY Thruway
WOODBURY, New York (WABC) -- One person was killed and six others injured in a multi-vehicle crash that closed the northbound lanes on the New York State Thruway in the Hudson Valley. Authorities say the northbound lanes of the Thruway in the Hudson Valley are closed by a multi-vehicle crash that has caused at least one serious injury.
The state police Thruway detail says the crash occurred around 10:45 a.m. Wednesday on Interstate 87, about three miles north of the Harriman toll barrier at Exit 16 in the Orange County town of Woodbury, 45 miles north of New York City.
Troopers say the crash involved a Thruway Authority plow truck, a tractor-trailer and four cars.
The victim has been identified as Mark Becker, 53, of Hillsdale, N.J., a researcher at Lamont Doherty Observatory in Palisades, N.Y.
None of the injuries are life-threatening.
The crash blocked both northbound lanes. The left lane later reopened, but the right remained closed.
State Police and Thruway Authority personnel are diverting all northbound traffic off I-87 at exit 16 (Harriman). Motorists are advised to take Route 32 North, to Route 300 North, to Route 17K East, and follow 17K East to re-enter I-87 at the exit 17 (Newburgh) interchange.
northern suburbs news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon