Voluntary evacuation in Pleasant Prairie due to high waves
October 30, 2012 (PLEASANT PRAIRIE, Wis.) -- The voluntary evacuation order for residents who live close to Lake Michigan in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, expired Tuesday afternoon.
The National Weather Service had predicted waves of up to 18 feet along the southeastern Wisconsin shoreline through Tuesday night.
With worrisome waves coming off the lake, some residents took advantage of free sandbags. Pleasant Prairie Public Works Director John Steinbrink estimated the village handed out about 3,500 sandbags on Monday and Tuesday.
For a time, there was a voluntary evacuation for some shoreline residents of Pleasant Prairie. Village officials expected 14 foot waves to impact more than 200 homes, so the sandbagging began Monday night and continued through Tuesday afternoon.
Village employees and volunteers dug in to help reduce or prevent expected water damage by filling sandbags for residents.
Homebuilder Chris Bain brought his crew.
"You like to just kind of help out with every bit you have," said Bain.
Some volunteers ditched their desk jobs at a local bank to help the effort.
"I'm from Kenosha, born and raised, so any time we can do anything to help," said Bryan Fisher.
As the day wore on, the waves peaked at 12 about feet, causing some beach erosion, but never reaching any homes.
wisconsin news, leah hope
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 15 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House 43 min ago
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 55 min ago
- Budget bill heads to the Senate 37 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees