Voluntary evacuation in Pleasant Prairie due to high waves
October 30, 2012 (PLEASANT PRAIRIE, Wis.) -- The voluntary evacuation order for residents who live close to Lake Michigan in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, expired Tuesday afternoon.
The National Weather Service had predicted waves of up to 18 feet along the southeastern Wisconsin shoreline through Tuesday night.
With worrisome waves coming off the lake, some residents took advantage of free sandbags. Pleasant Prairie Public Works Director John Steinbrink estimated the village handed out about 3,500 sandbags on Monday and Tuesday.
For a time, there was a voluntary evacuation for some shoreline residents of Pleasant Prairie. Village officials expected 14 foot waves to impact more than 200 homes, so the sandbagging began Monday night and continued through Tuesday afternoon.
Village employees and volunteers dug in to help reduce or prevent expected water damage by filling sandbags for residents.
Homebuilder Chris Bain brought his crew.
"You like to just kind of help out with every bit you have," said Bain.
Some volunteers ditched their desk jobs at a local bank to help the effort.
"I'm from Kenosha, born and raised, so any time we can do anything to help," said Bryan Fisher.
As the day wore on, the waves peaked at 12 about feet, causing some beach erosion, but never reaching any homes.
wisconsin news, leah hope
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 11 min ago
- Before East Harlem Explosion, resident remembers gas smell 18 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media 14 min ago
- Video: Dozens injured in East Harlem explosion 6 min ago
- Video: Damages throught neighborhood after East... 6 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
17 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
48 min ago