U.S. & World News
Little girl from Long Island stuck in Haiti
ELMONT (WABC) -- Parents on Long Island are trying to get their two-year-old daughter back from Haiti. She was visiting her grandmother when the earthquake struck.
"She's just in a terrible position that's all," Fabiola Pierre-Paul said.
You can barely imagine the agony -- the broken up phone calls and the unrelenting frustration Fabiola has endured.
"It's just killing me every day, just waiting for something to happen and nothing is happening," she said.
Her two year old daughter, Brianna, is stuck in Haiti and in a bureaucratic nightmare. Brianna's passport is back here at her home in Elmont.
"I don't know. I don't know what to say. I don't know where to start," Pierre-Paul said.
Before the quake, Fabiola took Brianna to Haiti to meet her grandmother, leaving her there for an extended vacation.
Fabiola kept the girl's passport for safekeeping with every intention of flying back to Haiti to get the girl.
But then came the earthquake.
"Anything could happen to my daughter. Anything could happen," she said.
Brianna and her grandmother survived, but their house was flattened. They're now living on the streets of Port-au-Prince.
Because the grandmother is not an American and Brianna is too young to be able to speak, They've spent hours in the heat outside the U.S. embassy. Fabiola says they were turned away because Brianna doesn't have her passport.
"I'm begging you please, if there's a way someone can help me, help me bring my mother-in-law and my daughter here," Pierre-Paul said.
haiti, port-au-prince, earthquake, long island, elmont, u.s. & world news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman 43 min ago
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 27 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 9 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos