U.S. & World News
Family, friends worry over fate of student
KATONAH (WABC) -- Raw anxiety.
That's the only way to describe how the family and friends of Stephanie Crispinelli are feeling right now.
"One of my son's called me, Stephanie's friend, in the middle of the night and said, 'Mom, Stephanie did not get off the plane, and that was 2 o'clock this morning and we're watching the tv and we're just sick to our stomachs," Susan Lanzetta said.
Micheal Lanzetta got a text message Thursday. It said the Lynn University students who had been missing in Haiti were found. But the message was wrong and a retraction was issued, which made things worse.
"She's been crying since she got home from work. She's been crying since we spoke this morning," Michael said.
The Crispinelli's have left their quiet Westchester neighborhood, and are now in the Dominican Republic, waiting for word about their daughter's whereabouts."
Crispinelli is among six people in her humanitarian group "Journey for Hope" who were staying at the Hotel Montana and are still missing. Christine Gianacaci, 22, of Hopewell, New Jersey is among them.
The school has hired its own rescue team and is posting constant updates on its website.
"It's so informative. They seem so concerned about the students," Karen Negulic said
While there are moments of weakness, the optimism is solid. Stephanie is a strong girl.
"I think Stephanie is the type if she gets through this, she'll come home and she'll probably go back to Haiti, " Susan Lanzetta said.
haiti, port-au-prince, earthquake, westchester county, u.s. & world news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 35 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers 13 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building 6 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos