U.S. & World News
Gabrielle Giffords' husband talks to Diane Sawyer
TUCSON, Ariz. -- In a poignantly personal interview with ABC News' Diane Sawyer, astronaut Capt. Mark Kelly opens up about his wife Gabrielle Giffords' recovery and the Tucson shooting that injured her and killed six people.
Kelly, who has been photographed by his wife's hospital bed holding her hand, said there is a habit of hers that has convinced him that she recognizes him.
"If I hold her hand, she'll play with my wedding ring," he said. "She'll move it up and down my finger. She'll take it off. ... She'll put it on her own finger. She'll move it to her thumb. And then she can put it back on my finger.
"The reason why I know that that means she recognizes me is because she's done that before. She'll do that if we're sitting in a restaurant. She'll do the same exact movements," he said.
Watch the full interview on a special edition of "20/20," "The Congresswoman and the Astronaut: An American Story of Love and Strength," at 10 p.m. on Channel 7.
Read more on abcnews.com.
tragedy in tucson, arizona shooting, rep. gabrielle giffords, jared lee loughner, crime, murder, shooting, u.s. & world news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Small school bus overturns in Brooklyn 3 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 22 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 5 min ago
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 25 min ago
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins 26 min ago
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
5 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
26 min ago