U.S. & World News
Man with explosives arrested at Philadelphia airport
PHILADELPHIA (WABC) -- A northeastern Pennsylvania man is facing a federal charge after police say he brought fireworks to Philadelphia International Airport while trying to catch a cross-country flight.
Chief Inspector Joseph Sullivan says 29-year-old Joseph Picklo of Dallas, Pennsylvania is charged with possession of a destructive device for allegedly carrying explosives to a security checkpoint Thursday morning.
Authorities told our sister station, 6abc/Action News in Philadelphia, that Picklo described himself as a self-employed salesman who "likes to conduct experiments with explosives."
Authorities say he was found carrying a plastic bottle filled with explosives in his carry-on luggage.
The bottle, which was allegedly in Picklo's backpack, contained explosive (pyrotechnic) powder and three M-80 type fireworks, investigators told Action News.
A police spokeswoman said earlier the explosives may have been left in a bag accidentally. Sullivan says the situation is still under investigation.
An airport spokeswoman says the checkpoint was closed for about 30 minutes but no flights were delayed.
Information from 6abc.com and The Associated Press inclulded in this story.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
arrest, explosives, fireworks, philadelphia, u.s. & world news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit 46 min ago
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK 14 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 31 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
10 min ago