U.S. & World News
US takes control of dinosaur skeleton
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. government has seized a dinosaur skeleton in New York City that it says was unjustly taken from Mongolia.
The crates holding the Tyrannosaurus bataar fossil were held at a Queens storage facility. The seizure was carried out Friday A Florida man, Eric Prokopi (proh-KAHP'-ee), says he legitimately obtained the specimen he refers to as "Ty."
Prokopi says he put it together at great expense before it was sold at auction for more than $1 million.
The sale is contingent on the outcome of litigation. The government sued earlier this week to seize the dinosaur for a return to Mongolia.
The head paleontologist with New York's American Museum of Natural History, Mark Norell, said Friday that the fossil should be returned quickly to Mongolia.
GET THE LATEST NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL NEWS FROM ABCNEWS.COM ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
u.s. & world news
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos