New Curiosity Mars rover photos show side of 'Mount Sharp'
August 28, 2012 (CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla.) -- NASA has beamed back a set of spectacular pictures from Mars rover Curiosity and a first voice message.
The new images show the side of "Mount Sharp", which was formed from hundreds of rock layers. Curiosity will eventually explore the mountain.
Also, NASA's chief recorded a message, uploaded it to Curiosity, and the rover transmitted it back to earth. The space agency says this is the first time a recorded human voice has made such a journey.
NASA's chief has forecast that a manned mission to Mars could happen in the not too distant future.
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 58 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease 47 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013