New Curiosity Mars rover photos show side of 'Mount Sharp'
August 28, 2012 (CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla.) -- NASA has beamed back a set of spectacular pictures from Mars rover Curiosity and a first voice message.
The new images show the side of "Mount Sharp", which was formed from hundreds of rock layers. Curiosity will eventually explore the mountain.
Also, NASA's chief recorded a message, uploaded it to Curiosity, and the rover transmitted it back to earth. The space agency says this is the first time a recorded human voice has made such a journey.
NASA's chief has forecast that a manned mission to Mars could happen in the not too distant future.
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 17 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 19 min ago
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon 45 min ago
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse