Obama urges Supreme Court to overturn Prop 8
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama is throwing his support behind the push to overturn California's Proposition 8, which bans same-sex marriage.
The White House on Thursday filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the Supreme Court, marking the first time a U.S. president has urged the high court to expand the right of gays and lesbians to wed.
California is one of eight states that give gay couples all the benefits of marriage through civil unions or domestic partnership but don't allow them to wed. The denial of marriage to same-sex couples, "particularly where California at the same time grants same-sex partners all the substantive rights of marriage, violates equal protection," the administration said.
Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon and hundreds of other businesses are also filing briefs in support of gay marriage, as are well-known Republicans such as Jon Huntsman, Meg Whitman and Clint Eastwood.
Proposition 8 goes before the Supreme Court in late March. If the court overturns the voter-approved Prop. 8, it would likely result in gay marriage becoming legal in the seven other states: Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon and Rhode Island.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
same-sex marriage, washington d.c., president barack obama, u.s. supreme court, national news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 8 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 6 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
15 min ago