Michelle Obama challenges kids with lunch contest
WASHINGTON (AP) - April 3, 2013 -- Children from across the nation will rub elbows with Michelle Obama and dine off fine china in the East Room of the White House this summer as part of a contest to promote healthy eating.
The first lady is asking children ages 8 to 12 and their parents to create nutritious lunch recipes that represent each of the food groups for "The Healthy Lunchtime Challenge."
Winners will travel to Washington to sample some of the original dishes at the second White House kids' "state dinner" luncheon this summer.
The deadline to submit recipes is May 12. Last year's challenge received more than 1,200 entries.
The contest, created by Epicurious.com, is a partnership among the food website, Mrs. Obama and the departments of Education and Agriculture.
michelle obama, children, food, national/world
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 31 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 48 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday 50 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos