Army employee shot, killed at Fort Knox in Ky.
FORT KNOX, Ky. (AP) - April 3, 2013 -- An Army civilian employee was shot and killed in a parking lot at Kentucky's Fort Knox on Wednesday, and investigators were seeking to question a man in connection with the shooting, authorities said
Army officials said in a news release late Wednesday that the victim was an employee of the U.S. Army Human Resources Command, which handles personnel actions for soldiers. The shooting occurred in a lot outside the command. The victim was transported to the Ireland Army Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
"Special Agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command are investigating a personal incident and not a random act of violence," said Chris Grey, spokesman for the independent Army investigative agency.
The identity of the victim was being withheld pending notification of family.
Police were seeking to speak with a person of interest in the case. The news release identified him as a 5-foot, 9-inch black man who is American and is believed to be using a black Yamaha motorcycle for transportation.
Fort Knox police received a 911 call about the shooting at about 5:40 pm., the news release said.
As a security measure, the post's gates were locked down at about 5:50 p.m. About an hour later, the main gate was fully reopened, but due to enhanced security measures, those coming and going were advised to expect delays.
Fort Knox spokesman Kyle Hodges said late Wednesday that the post remained on a heightened security alert, but said officials don't believe the person of interest was still on post.
He said he could not comment on whether the victim was targeted, or whether the shooting may have been related to his work. He also couldn't say what type of weapon was used.
The FBI dispatched two agents to Fort Knox and is assisting in the investigation, said Mary Trotman, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Louisville.
kentucky, shooting, national/world
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says 58 min ago
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos