Army employee shot, killed at Fort Knox in Ky.
FORT KNOX, Ky. (AP) - April 3, 2013 -- An Army civilian employee was shot and killed in a parking lot at Kentucky's Fort Knox on Wednesday, and investigators were seeking to question a man in connection with the shooting, authorities said
Army officials said in a news release late Wednesday that the victim was an employee of the U.S. Army Human Resources Command, which handles personnel actions for soldiers. The shooting occurred in a lot outside the command. The victim was transported to the Ireland Army Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
"Special Agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command are investigating a personal incident and not a random act of violence," said Chris Grey, spokesman for the independent Army investigative agency.
The identity of the victim was being withheld pending notification of family.
Police were seeking to speak with a person of interest in the case. The news release identified him as a 5-foot, 9-inch black man who is American and is believed to be using a black Yamaha motorcycle for transportation.
Fort Knox police received a 911 call about the shooting at about 5:40 pm., the news release said.
As a security measure, the post's gates were locked down at about 5:50 p.m. About an hour later, the main gate was fully reopened, but due to enhanced security measures, those coming and going were advised to expect delays.
Fort Knox spokesman Kyle Hodges said late Wednesday that the post remained on a heightened security alert, but said officials don't believe the person of interest was still on post.
He said he could not comment on whether the victim was targeted, or whether the shooting may have been related to his work. He also couldn't say what type of weapon was used.
The FBI dispatched two agents to Fort Knox and is assisting in the investigation, said Mary Trotman, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Louisville.
kentucky, shooting, national/world
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen