Ohio woman told she was 'too fat to tan'
AKRON, OH -- A woman in Ohio was denied a refund after she was deemed 'too fat to tan'.
When Kelly McGrevey went to Aloha Tanning salon to use her month-long tanning package, her regular stand-up bed was broken.
The traditional beds were off limits to customers over 230 pounds, meaning she couldn't use them. She demanded her $70 membership fee back but was told, 'No.'
Another area salon, Tanner's Tanning offered McGrevey a free month in any bed she chooses.
"It's just disgusting. It's discrimination," said Jackie Gamble, owner of Tanner's Tanning. "I've busted an acrylic on the bed and I weigh 120 pounds. It really just depends where you put pressure at and $70, that's a lot of money to somebody."
McGrevey has since received outpouring support through social media users.
Aloha Tanning now claims it has issued a refund. Though McGrevey says she's not seen the cash yet.
The tanning salon currently has an 'F' rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees