Ohio woman told she was 'too fat to tan'
AKRON, OH -- A woman in Ohio was denied a refund after she was deemed 'too fat to tan'.
When Kelly McGrevey went to Aloha Tanning salon to use her month-long tanning package, her regular stand-up bed was broken.
The traditional beds were off limits to customers over 230 pounds, meaning she couldn't use them. She demanded her $70 membership fee back but was told, 'No.'
Another area salon, Tanner's Tanning offered McGrevey a free month in any bed she chooses.
"It's just disgusting. It's discrimination," said Jackie Gamble, owner of Tanner's Tanning. "I've busted an acrylic on the bed and I weigh 120 pounds. It really just depends where you put pressure at and $70, that's a lot of money to somebody."
McGrevey has since received outpouring support through social media users.
Aloha Tanning now claims it has issued a refund. Though McGrevey says she's not seen the cash yet.
The tanning salon currently has an 'F' rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos