-
Investigation continues into suspect in deadly Navy Yard shooting
-
Questions about shooting suspect's security clearance
-
New information about deadly Washington DC shooting
-
Investigation continues into deadly DC shooting
-
Closer look at Washington DC shooter
-
DC Navy Yard shooting motive still unclear
-
DC shooting suspect born in Queens
-
13 dead, including gunman in DC Navy yard shooting
-
Witnesses recount horror in DC Navy yard shooting
-
At least 13 dead in DC Navy Yard shooting
-
Suspected Navy Yard gunman killed
-
At least 12 dead in Washington DC shooting
WASHINGTON (WABC) -- Authorities investigating the deadly mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, DC, continue to search for a motive.
The rampage was allegedly carried out by one of the military's own - a defense contractor and former Navy reservist. Police say that man, 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, killed 12 people before he was shot and killed in a gun battle with responding officers.
Law enforcement officials say Alexis carried three weapons, including an assault rifle, a shotgun and a handgun he took from an officer at the scene. Authorities believe the shotgun was purchased at a gun shop in Virginia.
He was born in Queens and also spent time in Brooklyn.
U.S. law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that Alexis, who was honorably discharged in January of 2011, had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
Alexis had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing.
The how and why of all this is something investigators, survivors and relatives of the victims will wonder about for a long time.
The day after the shooting, the reality of what unfolded at the Navy Yard Monday is still sinking in. Many gathered at vigils to remember and mourn the 12 victims.
Officials say Alexis gained access to the base and cleared the gate by using a security clearance card.
"We can confirm, however, that Mr. Alexis had legitimate access to Navy Yard as a result of his work as a contractor," said Valerie Parlave, of the FBI Washington Field Office. "And he utilized a valid pass to gain entry to the Navy Yard."
In addition to the 12 fatalities, at least three others were shot, including a DC police officer who was hit with multiple bullets in both of his legs. He underwent surgery, but is expected to survive, as are the other two. Five other people suffered minor injuries as they ran for their lives.
While officials still haven't learned of a motive, they stress there is no indication of terrorism and no hard evidence of a second shooter.
Only essential Navy Yard personnel are to report to work Tuesday, and DC officials say all streets/bridges/local trains and buses are operating normally.
The identities of the victims have been confirmed. They are:
Family members of Washington Navy Yard employees looking for information about their loved ones can contact the Warfighter and Family Support Center at 202-433-6151 or 202-433-9713.
washington, d.c., shooting, washington navy yard shooting, u.s. & world news
- Search continues for missing autistic teen
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC - Now available on Android Phones
- Samsung office building evacuated due to car fires
- Suspect arrested in SoHo subway attack 8 min ago
- Biker testifies at grand jury into motorcycle road rage case 14 min ago
- Senate leader announces bipartisan budget deal
- Decision day in New Jersey Senate special election 7 min ago
- Lhota releases ad warning crime will rise if de Blasio wins 3 min ago
- CT man charged with making explosives inside home 47 min ago
- Giant sea creature found off California
- Photos: Elton John AIDS Foundation fundraiser
- Photos: Kangaroo jumps around airport in Australia
7online News Links
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- 7online home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., WABC-TV/DT New York, NY. All Rights Reserved.






