Katsuno's chicken teriyaki
QUEENS (WABC) -- In this edition of Neighborhood Eats, we visited a Japanese restaurant that feels like the real deal. But you only need to travel as far as Queens.
Katsuno is located at 103-01 Metropolitan Avenue in Forest Hills, Queens.
It opened just five months ago, but it has been in the works for the husband and wife team for years.
It's a small restaurant with a teeny kitchen, where Katsuyuki Seo does all the cooking. He cooked for years in Tokyo, and customers sense his attention to detail, whether it's with sushi or his noodles.
His teriyaki may be one of the easiest recipes to follow. He starts with sake and mirin and burns off the alcohol. To that, he adds soy sauce and a little sugar. Then, he brings it to a boil.
For the chicken, it starts with a quick dusting in potato starch. Then, it's sauteed in oil with a lid on top. A quick flip and then the teriyaki is poured on top.
Just a handful of ingredients create a flavorful dish. It's just one of many to choose from.
Recipe for Katsuno's Chicken Teriyaki:
Ingredients for chicken portion:
Ingredients for Teriyaki sauce:
All ingredients are sold in Japanese grocery.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || FOLLOW NEIGHORBOOD EATS ON FACEBOOK
neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday 35 min ago
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash 38 min ago
- Man fatally shot in head in West Village
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion 13 min ago
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case 29 min ago
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Orb trainer fights nerves at Preakness
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos