Chilled corn soup with jalapeno
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Forget hot dogs and pretzels, the Rouge Tomate cart offers park and zoo goers an entirely different option, proving that you don't have to go to a fancy five-star restaurant to get gourmet food made from locally grown ingredients.
The Rouge Tomate cart is open from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. on Monday through Saturday. The restaurant, which is located at 10 E. 60th Street, is open Monday through Saturday as well.
Chilled Corn Soup with Jalapeno
Serves 4 - 8 oz bowls
Ingredients for the soup:
Remove the corn from the cob, and cut the cobs into 4 pieces each. Place the cobs in a stock pot, and cover with water only to the top of the cobs. Simmer for about 30 minutes, then strain of the liquid as your stock. Discard the cobs. Heat the oil in a large sauce pot on low heat. Add the onion, jalapeno and Garlic. Sweat until the vegetables begin to get soft, but don't allow them to get any color. This should take about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the corn, and season with about half of the salt you think you will need. Adding the salt at this point will help to bring the water out of the corn. Sweat the corn with the vegetables for another 5 minutes. Add the corn stock and the milk and let cook on low heat, barely simmering for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for another 20 minutes. Blend the contents of the pot, and pass through a fine mesh strainer. Cool the soup over ice or in the refrigerator. Adjust seasoning with salt and consistency with cold corn stock if too thick.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Suffolk County parents getting free alcohol test kits
- NJ couple arraigned on animal cruelty charges
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos