A taste of Jamaica in Prospect Heights
The food coming out of The Islands in Prospect Heights, diagonal from the Brooklyn Museum of Art, is winning rave reviews.
The kitchen here is tiny, but turns out large portions of Jamaican food.
Marilyn doles out the love along with her jerk chicken, jerk leg of lamb, goat and oxtail.
On the weekends there are lines. You'll be lucky to snag one of the 21 seats inside. The Islands is located at 803 Washington Ave (between Sterling Pl & St Johns Pl) in Prospect Heights. The restaurant does not take reservations.
Here's the recipe featured on Eyewitness News:
1 lb fresh, deveined medium size shrimp
1 fl oz oil
1 onion, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped up
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cups water
1 bunch scallions (just bottoms, diced)
Heat oil. Add the curry powder and continue to fry for two minutes. Then add the onions, salt, pepper, thyme, scallions, scotch bonnets (can use less if you don't want it too hot!) and water. Bring to a boil then reduce. Add shrimp. Add bell pepper. Heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp is cooked though.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members 9 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 23 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 38 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos