A taste of Jamaica in Prospect Heights
The food coming out of The Islands in Prospect Heights, diagonal from the Brooklyn Museum of Art, is winning rave reviews.
The kitchen here is tiny, but turns out large portions of Jamaican food.
Marilyn doles out the love along with her jerk chicken, jerk leg of lamb, goat and oxtail.
On the weekends there are lines. You'll be lucky to snag one of the 21 seats inside. The Islands is located at 803 Washington Ave (between Sterling Pl & St Johns Pl) in Prospect Heights. The restaurant does not take reservations.
Here's the recipe featured on Eyewitness News:
1 lb fresh, deveined medium size shrimp
1 fl oz oil
1 onion, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped up
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cups water
1 bunch scallions (just bottoms, diced)
Heat oil. Add the curry powder and continue to fry for two minutes. Then add the onions, salt, pepper, thyme, scallions, scotch bonnets (can use less if you don't want it too hot!) and water. Bring to a boil then reduce. Add shrimp. Add bell pepper. Heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp is cooked though.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 43 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority 52 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
39 min ago