A taste of Jamaica in Prospect Heights
The food coming out of The Islands in Prospect Heights, diagonal from the Brooklyn Museum of Art, is winning rave reviews.
The kitchen here is tiny, but turns out large portions of Jamaican food.
Marilyn doles out the love along with her jerk chicken, jerk leg of lamb, goat and oxtail.
On the weekends there are lines. You'll be lucky to snag one of the 21 seats inside. The Islands is located at 803 Washington Ave (between Sterling Pl & St Johns Pl) in Prospect Heights. The restaurant does not take reservations.
Here's the recipe featured on Eyewitness News:
1 lb fresh, deveined medium size shrimp
1 fl oz oil
1 onion, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped up
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cups water
1 bunch scallions (just bottoms, diced)
Heat oil. Add the curry powder and continue to fry for two minutes. Then add the onions, salt, pepper, thyme, scallions, scotch bonnets (can use less if you don't want it too hot!) and water. Bring to a boil then reduce. Add shrimp. Add bell pepper. Heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp is cooked though.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 31 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 51 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 34 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 12 min ago
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos