A taste of Jamaica in Prospect Heights
The food coming out of The Islands in Prospect Heights, diagonal from the Brooklyn Museum of Art, is winning rave reviews.
The kitchen here is tiny, but turns out large portions of Jamaican food.
Marilyn doles out the love along with her jerk chicken, jerk leg of lamb, goat and oxtail.
On the weekends there are lines. You'll be lucky to snag one of the 21 seats inside. The Islands is located at 803 Washington Ave (between Sterling Pl & St Johns Pl) in Prospect Heights. The restaurant does not take reservations.
Here's the recipe featured on Eyewitness News:
1 lb fresh, deveined medium size shrimp
1 fl oz oil
1 onion, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped up
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cups water
1 bunch scallions (just bottoms, diced)
Heat oil. Add the curry powder and continue to fry for two minutes. Then add the onions, salt, pepper, thyme, scallions, scotch bonnets (can use less if you don't want it too hot!) and water. Bring to a boil then reduce. Add shrimp. Add bell pepper. Heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp is cooked though.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut