French and Scandinavian restaurant's crepes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Between the French and Scandinavians, who knew? Well chef Morton Sohlberg is bringing that connection back at his restaurant Crepes Du Nord on South Williams St. in Lower Manhattan.
"For me it's a fun thing, French style crepes," he said.
So you'll find flavors of his native Norway like the shrimps or lingonberries or herring. There's the popular crepe du nord, it begins, like all crepes there do, with a buckwheat batter. Then fresh eggs are lightly scrambled and placed on top of the crepe. It's folded and it's topped off with Norwegian smoked salmon, dill dressing and fresh chives grown on the chef's farm, which serves all his restaurants.
But, there is more to the restaurant than just crepes. Crepes are on one side, but there is a whole other side.
At Smorgas Chef it's all about Scandinavian. The two restaurants share a hallway and you can order from either menu. Smorgas Chef has outdoor seating on charming Stone Street.
Crêpe Du Nord Recipe (serves 1)
Smoked Salmon, Scrambled Egg, Dill Crème
1 buckwheat crepe (recipe for crepe below)
For crepe filling
Soft scramble 2 large eggs, whisked with 2 Tbsp cream
Top with fresh chopped chives (1 tsp)
Place the scrambled egg on center of the crepe, and fold accordingly.
Top the crepe with thinly sliced Norwegian or other high-quality smoked salmon (about 2 oz)
Top with 2 Tbsp dill dressing (recipe below)
Garnish with more chives and lemon twist.
SAVORY BUCKWHEAT CREPE BATTER
2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon sugar
½ tsp salt (kosher salt preferred)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup flour
3 large organic eggs
1 cup mayo
3 cups sour cream
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
¼ tsp cayenne
½ cup finely chopped dill
s&p to taste
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Workers recover Bible as East Harlem debris cleared 17 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn 55 min ago
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Workers recover Bible as East Harlem debris...
17 min ago