Peacefood Cafe's raw key lime pie
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A cute vegan restaurant is offering up a raw key lime pie in this week's Neighborhood Eats.
Peacefood Cafe is located at 460 Amsterdam Avenue, at the corner of 82nd Street.
"The food is so healthy, I love it," a customer said.
She's a regular at Peacefood Cafe on the Upper West Side where the name explains the owner's approach.
"We don't kill animals, I think that's peaceful to nature," Eric Yu said.
His menu is vegan and that means it contains no meat, no dairy, and no eggs.
There are soups, salads, sandwiches, juices and smoothies, dumplings, chick pea fritters, and desserts galore.
"Most people walk in here and don't even know it's a vegan restaurant," said Kristen Kolnacki, the pastry chef.
Kristen Kolnacki is the pastry chef, who gets creative with her recipes, for example, take the key lime pie.
"It's just like a regular key lime pie but all the ingredients are raw, so it is pretty healthy for you," Kolnacki said.
The crust is made of almonds and Brazil nuts, ground with dates and coconut oil.
That's pressed into the pie pan.
For the filling: cashews, young coconut, juice from 8 limes and agave and avocados get blended together.
That's poured onto the crust and drizzled with coconut and limes.
The pie is served chilled.
You won't miss the dairy or the eggs.
In fact, all of the food here is strong on flavor.
Some folks may even become vegans after eating at Peacefood Cafe, but Eric Yu's at peace either way.
"I'm happy as long as they're happy, I'm happy," Yu said.
RAW KEY LIME PIE RECIPE
Yields one 9-inch pie
1 cup almonds
1 ½ cup Brazil nuts
1/3 cup dates
1/8 cup coconut oil
Pinch of salt
Instructions: In food processor or blender, grind almonds, Brazil nuts, and dates until coarse. Add coconut oil last to bind the crust. Press into 9-inch pie glass.
1 young coconut meat (meat from young coconut)
1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
8 limes, zested and juiced
¾ cup agave
¾ cup coconut oil
Pinch of sea salt
Instructions: In a food processor, blend the cashews, young coconut and agave until smooth. Add the lime zest and juice and mix until incorporated. Add the avocado and blend until the filling is completely smooth. Add coconut oil last, blending until incorporated. Pour the filling into the crust and freeze for two hours until set up.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 18 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 19 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
15 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
52 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos