Neighborhood Eats: Taqueria Tlaxcalli
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Sometimes the best food is found in small restaurants you might not know about.
An authentic Mexican restaurant in the Bronx has just 20 seats, and you'll want to grab one of them.
The menu is extensive, and reflects food from throughout Mexico.
Taqueria Tlaxcalli is located at 2103 Starling Avenue in the Parkchester section of the Bronx.
"I always like food, food is my passion," said Maurico Gomez, of Taqueria Tlaxcalli.
Mauricio Gomez has been working in the food industry since he was a teenager, then five years ago he opened his own place, serving up the food of his native Mexico in Parkchester where he lives.
His restaurant is called Taqueria Tlaxcalli, Tlaxcalli is a tortilla in Nawat, the language of the Aztecs.
The menu covers food from throughout Mexico.
Dishes like pork and pineapple tacos, soups, blueberry and goat cheese empanadas, and chuletas tlaxcalli in a guajillo sauce.
Chef Bautista first boils tomatoes and dried guajillo chiles, in a blender he adds onions, garlic, cumin and cloves.
It's pureed along with a little chipotle.
The sauce is fried with onions, spinach gets added and that tops the chuleta grilled pork chops.
Ingredients for chops:
2 pork chops, boneless
2 tbs Chipotle
To make pork chops:
Sprinkle each with salt and pepper, and coat with chipotle sauce. let marinade a couple of hours prior.
While halfway through making the sauce, cook pork chops on grill or in sauté pan until nicely browned.
Ingredients for guajillo sauce:
6-8 dried guajillo chiles
1 large tomato, cut up into 6 sections
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs cloves
1 onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic
2 tbs chipotle
2 cups spinach
To make sauce:
Boil tomato and chiles in 3 cups water, 4 minutes.
Pour tomatos, chiles and water into blender, along with garlic, cumin, cloves and half the onion slices
Puree 2 minutes
Add 2 tbs chipotle, puree another 2 minutes
In sauté pan, add remainder of onions to 2 tbs oil, cook over medium heat for a minute or two and add guajillo sauce, cook over medium heat, add the spinace. Cook for another minute, add the pork chops to coat in the sauce and serve.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 10 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 12 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 58 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 47 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos