Neighborhood Eats: Taqueria Tlaxcalli
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Sometimes the best food is found in small restaurants you might not know about.
An authentic Mexican restaurant in the Bronx has just 20 seats, and you'll want to grab one of them.
The menu is extensive, and reflects food from throughout Mexico.
Taqueria Tlaxcalli is located at 2103 Starling Avenue in the Parkchester section of the Bronx.
"I always like food, food is my passion," said Maurico Gomez, of Taqueria Tlaxcalli.
Mauricio Gomez has been working in the food industry since he was a teenager, then five years ago he opened his own place, serving up the food of his native Mexico in Parkchester where he lives.
His restaurant is called Taqueria Tlaxcalli, Tlaxcalli is a tortilla in Nawat, the language of the Aztecs.
The menu covers food from throughout Mexico.
Dishes like pork and pineapple tacos, soups, blueberry and goat cheese empanadas, and chuletas tlaxcalli in a guajillo sauce.
Chef Bautista first boils tomatoes and dried guajillo chiles, in a blender he adds onions, garlic, cumin and cloves.
It's pureed along with a little chipotle.
The sauce is fried with onions, spinach gets added and that tops the chuleta grilled pork chops.
Ingredients for chops:
2 pork chops, boneless
2 tbs Chipotle
To make pork chops:
Sprinkle each with salt and pepper, and coat with chipotle sauce. let marinade a couple of hours prior.
While halfway through making the sauce, cook pork chops on grill or in sauté pan until nicely browned.
Ingredients for guajillo sauce:
6-8 dried guajillo chiles
1 large tomato, cut up into 6 sections
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs cloves
1 onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic
2 tbs chipotle
2 cups spinach
To make sauce:
Boil tomato and chiles in 3 cups water, 4 minutes.
Pour tomatos, chiles and water into blender, along with garlic, cumin, cloves and half the onion slices
Puree 2 minutes
Add 2 tbs chipotle, puree another 2 minutes
In sauté pan, add remainder of onions to 2 tbs oil, cook over medium heat for a minute or two and add guajillo sauce, cook over medium heat, add the spinace. Cook for another minute, add the pork chops to coat in the sauce and serve.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 11 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 48 min ago
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court 58 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos