Potato leek soup at Dig Inn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Who says healthy can't be hearty? A Manhattan restaurant is doing just that.
At Dig Inn's five locations in Manhattan, the food is right off the farm.
The first Dig Inn location happens to be down the block from the Union Square Farmers Market.
Daniel Angerer's recipes put the produce first.
"We try to keep it as simple as possible let the vegetable talk for itself," he said.
Veggies make up about 70 percent of the menu. You can also order a protein, grains or greens. For more information about Dig Inn, visit diginn.com.
Potato & Leek Soup
(recipe yields four portions)
Recipe by Executive Chef Daniel Angerer
2 pounds leek, dark-green part removed
2 stalks green celery
2 cloves garlic
1 pound potatoes such as Yukon Gold
2 tablespoons vegetable oil such as canola
1 teaspoon sea salt
fresh black pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
1. With a knife cut leeks and celery into small pieces and soak in a bowl filled with water. Swish leeks around in water - this will release gritty soil parts and they will collect on the bottom of the bowl. Lift celery and leek with a slotted spoon out of the water on to a kitchen paper lined plate.
2. Peel garlic and onion, then chop into small pieces.
3. Cut potatoes in half then chop into small pieces.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a 1-gallon sized pot. Combine celery, leeks, garlic, onion and potato in the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook mixture for 25 minutes stirring with a cooking spoon every five minutes.
5. Combine vegetable broth and water with the leek/potato mixture and bring to a boil. Continue to simmer on low heat setting for 20 minutes.
6. Puree soup with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
7. Ladle soup into four bowls and sprinkle with oregano.
Chef's Tip: Before serving enrich the soup with a spoonful of unsweetened coconut milk.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series