Carrot salad at Colonie
BROOKLYN HEIGHTS (WABC) -- If they can be farmed together, they taste really good together. That's the idea behind much of the food at Colonie.
The year old restaurant in Brooklyn Heights was actually opened in part thanks to a kickstarter campaign where community members donated funds. Now neighbors have a spot for farm to table dining. There's a bar area, tables and an open kitchen
The menu is season with plenty of local produce, recently a carrot dish from sous chef Bryan Redmond. The recipe is below.
You can find more about Colonie at colonienyc.com.
Baby Carrots - 1 tray
Garlic - 2 Heads
Thyme - 1 Bunch
Greek Yogurt - 8 oz
Zest and Juice of 1 Orange
Sunflower Seeds - 1/2 Pint
Sunflower Oil - 1/2 Pint
Confectioners Sugar - 1/2 pint
Procedure: Dress the Carrots in extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and lay them on a baking tray with the garlic and thyme. Roast Carrots for about 45 min or until tender in a 400 degree oven.
Combine in a mixing bowl 8 oz Greek yogurt and the juice and zest of 1 orange. Season with a pinch of salt.
Toast your sunflower seeds in a 350 degree oven for about 15 min or until golden brown. Let cool. Cover with Sunflower oil.
Peel and rough chop 1 head of garlic. Toss in confectioners sugar and fry in a pot of canola oil at 275 degrees until golden brown while stirring almost constantly. Strain and cool.
Plating: Toss cooled roasted carrots with sunflower seeds, oil, salt, pepper and candied garlic. Arrange on a plate with a few dollops of orange yogurt. Garnish with sunflower shoots.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, brooklyn heights, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate 50 min ago
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams