Cheese ravioli from Caselnova
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- It's a taste of Italy in the Columbia Street waterfront district, just next to Red Hook in Brooklyn.
Dean Caselnova's eponymous Italian restaurant features hearty entrees, pizzas and paninis. The food at Caselnova is traditional and the pasta often handmade.
His recipe comes after years of learning cooking in Italy.
Discover more about the restaurant at http://www.caselnova.com. You can also follow the restaurant on Twitter @caselnova and on Facebook.
Recipe: Cheese Ravioli Serves 4 people
400 grams of All Purpose Flour (Apx. 3 cups)
4 whole eggs
pinch of salt
Easiest way to do in Kitchen-aid. Lightly beat the eggs pour into mixing bowl, use dough hook adjustment, add flour and salt and mix until silky slightly tacky texture (apx. 10 mins.). Roll into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 20 minutes.
1 1/2 cups of whole milk ricotta 1/4c grated cheese (pecorino or parmigiano) 1/4t kosher salt 2T fresh chopped parsley (use dry parsley only if you dont have fresh) Just mix with a spoon in a medium size bowl
1. Roll-out dough in pasta machine, will need to do this about 7-10 times to get the dough thin enough and air bubbles out.
2. Place about 1T cheese filling about 2 inches apart on the length of dough, one T for each ravioli.
3. Fold over dough - press to seal in between each scoop of cheese, and press edges of dough together, removing air bubbles.
4. Cut out raviolis with pasta cutter - (if you don't have a pasta cutter use a knife then press edges with a fork to seal).
5. Cook pasta 3-4 minutes in salted, boiling water.
MARINARA SAUCE (best to make ahead)
1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes (your favorite is fine) 3-4 medium garlic cloves 1/4C fresh chopped basil 1 tsp kosher salt - will adjust seasoning to preference 2T olive oil
Sauté garlic in oil until golden brown. Add tomatoes and 1/2 can of water. Add basil and salt and simmer over medium low flame for 30 minutes.
Warm sauce in large saucepan as the pasta is cooking, drain pasta and put raviolis into the marinara in the pan and toss together. Serve with fresh basil.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, brooklyn, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette' 26 min ago
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma