Braised short ribs from Villa Genarro
EDISON, N.J. (WABC) -- Tony Hane loves to do and you can feel the love at his restaurant Villa Gennaro in Edison.
The menu is extensive. Pizzas play a big part with their brick oven pizza. There are subs and more involved fare, like the homemade parpadella with braised short ribs, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Learn more about the restaurant at www.villagennaros.com
BRAISED SHORT RIBS AND HOMEMADE PAPARDELLE PASTA WITH A BROWN SAUCE (Serves 4)
You will need the following ingredients:
4 Short Ribs
2 cups of beef stock
2 cups of red wine
2 cups of mushrooms (of your choice)
1 cup of sun dried tomatoes
1 cup of crushed plum tomatoes
All purpose flour
Preparing the Short Ribs:
1. Coat the short ribs in a layer of all purpose flour
2. Add canola oil to sauté pan at medium heat
3. Place the ribs in the sauté pan until golden brown on all sides.
4. Once the ribs have been slightly sautéed, place them in a baking dish along with the beef stock, red wine, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and crushed plum tomatoes along with a dash of salt and pepper.
5. Preheat your oven to 450 F and place the baking dish in for approximately 3 ½ hours.
Preparing the Papardelle:
1. Add 1 cup of all purpose flour and 1 cup of semolina flour into the mixing bowl along with half a tablespoon of salt.
2. In the center of your mixing bowl, add 4 egg yolks and 2 entire eggs to the flour mixture.
3. Knead the flour and egg mixture while adding 4 tablespoons of olive oil (one spoon at a time) until you get the right consistency.
4. After you have your dough ball, wrap up the dough in saran wrap and place in your refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. After your dough has been refrigerated, you are now ready to roll it into the pasta sheet.
6. Put it through the roller about 5-8 times, depending on the desired thickness. (Be sure to add flour to the pasta to prevent it from sticking to any surfaces or onto itself)
7. Once the desired thickness is attained, roll the pasta and cut it into ¾ inch thick noodles.
Completing the Dish:
1. Remove the meat of the short rib from the bone, and slice to an appropriate size.
2. Place in a pan along with the sauce with which it was braised and bring to a simmer.
3. Cook the pasta by adding a pinch of salt to boiling water and letting the pasta sit in this water for at least 1 minute. (no more than 2 minutes)
4. Drain the pasta, and add it to your simmering sauce, cook for 15 seconds, and plate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen