'The Cinnamon Snail' vegan food truck
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Cinnamon Snail is a vegan food truck.
Vegan means that nothing coming out of the food truck comes from an animal.
Owner Adam Sobel isn't interested in converting people, just sharing his love for food vegan food.
"I really wanted to find a way to bring this cuisine to people that wouldn't go into a vegetarian restaurant," Sobel said.
There are wraps, heroes and sandwiches, and some with Asian flavors.
One featured sandwich is more Americana with maple mustard tempeh served with kale.
His soups will even appeal to carnivores including one made with kabocha squash soup.
Adam slices it up, with the rind on, he marinates the squash in olive oil, soy sauce and powdered ginger before grilling the slices.
Meanwhile, he makes a stock flavored with sage, bay leaves, and spices.
The squash goes in along with maple syrup before it's all pureed.
"It's like a Thanksgiving soup," Sobel said.
For dessert there is a creme brulee donut without the cream.
The desserts are the gateway to the world of vegan.
Kabocha Squash Soup Recipe
1 medium sized Kabocha squash
3 T extra virgin olive oil
3 T soy sauce
2 T powdered dried ginger
1/4 c extra Virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 carrots chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
2 T finely chopped ginger
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
1 T coriander
1 T crushed red pepper
1/4 cup maple syrup
7 cups water
Salt to taste
Remove the stem and seeds from the squash and slice it into 3/4 inch slices. Toss the slices in the olive oils, soy sauce and powdered ginger. Grill the slices on both sides on a charcoal grill or charbroiler until there are dark visible grill marks.
In a pot, heat the remaining olive oil and add the onions cellar and carrot. After cooking the vegetables for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, add the seasonings, water and Kabocha squash. Bring the pot up to a boil and then simmer for ten minutes, covered.
Allow the contents of the pot to cool for 1/2 an hour and then blend with an immersion blender or in batches in a countertop blender. Salt to taste.
Chef Adam Sobel
Cinnamon Snail Vegan Foodtruck
Certified Orgasmic Catering
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 19 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Queens trench rescue 17 min ago