Brooklyn eatery brings Venezuela to Bushwick
BUSHWICK (WABC) -- Leonardo Molina and his wife wanted to bring their native Venezuelan cuisine to the city, so they opened Arepera Guacuco in Brooklyn.
Guacuco is the name of a beach, and the restaurant certainly has a laid-back beach feel. Molina and his wife live in Ridgewood Queens but are serving up handmade arepas and other classic Venezuelan dishes, like made-to-order empanadas and coconut milk shakes, in neighboring Bushwick.
Check out the restaurant online at www.areperaguacuco.com.
Basic recipe for making arepas
2 1/2 cups of water 1 Tbsp. salt 2 cups of white P.A.N. corn meal
1. Pour 2 1/2 cups of water in a large bowl.
2. Add a tablespoon of salt.
3. Slowly pour in 2 cups of white P.A.N. corn meal.
4. Knead until the dough is smooth and uniform.
5. Use hands to shape 15 round arepas, first forming a ball and then patting it until it's about a half inch thick.
6. Heat a small amount of oil on a griddle or large frying pan at medium heat.
7. Place arepas on griddle and let cook for 5 minutes on each side until browned.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and then place the browned arepas inside.
9. Cook in over for 5-10 minutes, until exterior is rigid and crunchy.
Extract the arepas from the oven, and they are ready to be sliced open and stuffed with the ingredients of your choice!
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos