Brooklyn eatery brings Venezuela to Bushwick
BUSHWICK (WABC) -- Leonardo Molina and his wife wanted to bring their native Venezuelan cuisine to the city, so they opened Arepera Guacuco in Brooklyn.
Guacuco is the name of a beach, and the restaurant certainly has a laid-back beach feel. Molina and his wife live in Ridgewood Queens but are serving up handmade arepas and other classic Venezuelan dishes, like made-to-order empanadas and coconut milk shakes, in neighboring Bushwick.
Check out the restaurant online at www.areperaguacuco.com.
Basic recipe for making arepas
2 1/2 cups of water 1 Tbsp. salt 2 cups of white P.A.N. corn meal
1. Pour 2 1/2 cups of water in a large bowl.
2. Add a tablespoon of salt.
3. Slowly pour in 2 cups of white P.A.N. corn meal.
4. Knead until the dough is smooth and uniform.
5. Use hands to shape 15 round arepas, first forming a ball and then patting it until it's about a half inch thick.
6. Heat a small amount of oil on a griddle or large frying pan at medium heat.
7. Place arepas on griddle and let cook for 5 minutes on each side until browned.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and then place the browned arepas inside.
9. Cook in over for 5-10 minutes, until exterior is rigid and crunchy.
Extract the arepas from the oven, and they are ready to be sliced open and stuffed with the ingredients of your choice!
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 39 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos