Barbeque in Brooklyn at Fletcher's
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- When you think of barbeque you probably think of the south, but now Brooklyn may be carving a name for itself.
It's happening at Fletcher's, where they've coined the phrase Brooklyn barbeque
They use red oak and sugar maple to smoke their meats. Some even get flavored with asian spices. There are more traditional sandwiches and ribs, chicken and plenty of sides, but even the pit beans get a twist.
Three kinds of beans are used along with about a dozen ingredients including cumin, chipotle and molasses.
Learn more about Fletecher's at www.fletchersbklyn.com.
Recipe: Fletcher's Baked Beans (2 Quarts)
6 strips Smoked Bacon
1 Cup Minced yellow onion
1 15oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 15oz can Light Red Kidney Beans
1 15oz can Pinto Beans
1 Cup Ketchup
¼ Cup Light brown sugar
¼ Cup Molasses
2 t Spicy brown mustard (i.e., Gulden's)
2 t Worcestershire
1 t Sweet paprika
¼ t Chipotle powder
½ t Cumin
½ t Coriander ½ t Sea salt
½ t Fresh black pepper
1 Cup Water
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) In an oven-proof heavy bottomed pot (dutch oven, etc), fry bacon over low heat for 10-15 minutes (you want this crispy!), set aside to drain on paper towels.
3) Sautée onion in same pot in remaining bacon fat over low-medium heat for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
4) Mince bacon, and add to pot.
5) Add everything else into the pot, stir very well, and cook covered for 5 minutes over medium heat until boiling.
6) Place pot, covered, to preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
7) Remove cover, stir beans, and cook for another 30 minutes or until a thick layer of darkened goodness forms across the top.
8) Remove from oven, stir, and serve.
recipe, barbeque, brooklyn, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos