Bigelow's Clam Chowder in Rockville Centre
ROCKVILLE CENTRE (WABC) -- Bigelow's is an institution in Rockville Centre. It's a small Cape Cod-style seafood shack that opened in 1939.
There's still only one place to sit - the counter, which gets pretty crowded with people usually vying for clams.
Anthony Andreolas is part of the family that's owned Bigelow's for 3 decades.
"Fried Ipswich clams is a staple. That's what people come for," he said. "We also have strip clams. Fried oysters are very good. Everything made to order. That's the difference with us you know.
And then there'st that chowder. The New England version is made with celery, onions, potato, milk and heavy cream, and plenty of clams. The seasoning and corn go in at the end and it thickens. A new batch is made every several hours.
Bigelow's is located at 79 N Long Beach Rd in Rockville Centre. For more information, call (516) 678-3878.
Bigelow's clam chowder
In a large soup pot, over medium heat - heat clam juice, and add onions and celery and let them sweat - don't let them burn. Add potatoes, pepper and put on lid let cook til soften. About 15 minutes.
Transfer stock from the soup pot to a double boiler - add milk and cream over medium to high heat. Once it starts to simmer, add clams, butter and corn. Continue to mix, add thyme (avoid burning the milk). Takes about an hour to get the soup where it needs to be. Serve!
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 11 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
24 min ago