Catfish Po Boy at Alvin and Friends - Neighborhood Eats
NEW ROCHELLE (WABC) -- Alvin Clayton has opened a new, larger version of Alvin and Friends restaurant, just several blocks away from the original in New Rochelle.
Now there's room for even more friends and more of his artwork.
"I think that helps make it much more intimate setting and you feel like you're in my living room," Clayton said.
As for the cuisine, there's a story behind that as well.
"I was born in Trinidad and I have the Caribbean influence to have this restaurant, he said.
The most popular dish at lunch is the Catfish Po-Boy, which involves a special spice mix. The recipe is below.
Learn more about the restaurant at www.alvinandfriendsrestaurant.com.
Directions: mix all ingredients together and keep chilled in refrigerator for at least an hour before using
For spice mix: 3TBLS paprika, 1TBLS dried cilantro, 1 pinch garlic powder,1 pinch onion powder, 1 pinch cayenne, 1TBLS pinch brown sugar (all mixed together)
Directions: Lightly salt and pepper each filet, then rub in spice mix. Combine buttermilk and hot sauce in bowl, and quickly run each filet through this mixture and then dredge in the cornmeal. Place each filet in deep fryer (or in enough oil to barely cover each filet). When lightly brown, remove from oil and drain. Meanwhile, you can warm the croissant. Place the fried fish on each croissant, top with remoulade sauce. serve with side of salad.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College student, prosecutor... 6 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services 59 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 14 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College...
6 min ago