Sweet and sour tilapia at Uncle Zhou's - Neighborhood Eats
ELMHURST (WABC) -- Three years ago Steven Zhou was out of work. That's when he decided to open a restaurant in Elmhurst.
The name is approachable - Uncle Zhou - meant to appeal to people unfamiliar with this kind of food.
The style of cooking is from the Henan province, not to be confused with the Hunan province. Henan is known for noodles.
Uncle Zhou is an expert noodle puller, and watching him makes me want to give it a go.
It is art as Uncle Zhou suddenly creates delicate strands. The noodles are great for soupy stews, part of the reason customers come several times a week.
Uncle Zhou's is located at 83-29 Broadway in New York.
Sweet & Sour Tilapia
The recipe for the hand-pulled noodles is a very difficult one, but you can certainly make the main ingredient - The tilapia with sweet and sour sauce and serve with lo mein noodles or rice.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. When serving with fish or favorite protein - heat in pan or wok, with a little oil and you can add a pinch of cornstarch and a couple teaspoons of water... great poured over a filet or whole fish.
In a bowl mix flour and eggs to create a paste. Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the fish. Then make 4 slice marks on each side of the fish to the bone, but not deep enough to cut through the fish. Lightly coat the fish with the batter, getting it into the sliced areas.
Heat the peanut oil in the wok. Once sizzling hot, put the fish in head first, and fry for about 2 minutes. Remove and drain.
Serve with the sweet and sour sauce that's been heated poured on top.
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 45 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
11 min ago