Staten Island's Bocelli serves up Sicilian style pumpkin ravioli
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- Bocelli's restaurant is hidden away in the non-descript Hylan Shopping Center on Staten Island.
"We were all born in Italy, developed a palate for real Italian food and that's what we try to bring to this restaurant," Vincent Damonte said.
On the inside, it's a totally different feel: wood work and murals and food at the hands of Stefano Sena and his brother Renato.
"Today with the knowledge of food people have, they want a little bit of everything," Stefano said.
And the menu does feature a little bit of everything - chick pea soup, inventive salads, agradolce calamari, pasta in champagne sauce with lobster and pumpkin ravioli.
Whether it's for the food, the service or the atmosphere, Bocelli (named for Andrea Bocelli) hits the high notes.
Sicilian style pumpkin ravioli from Bocelli
16 pumpkin filled ravioli (homemade or purchased)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 medium onion sliced
½ cup dry fruit (diced and soaked ahead of time in sauterne wine& you can use apricots, white raisins, prunes)
1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
1 cup sweet marsala wine - with 2 vanilla bean sticks soaking in it ahead of time
2 oz honey
½ cup veal demi-glaze (make your own or purchased)
½ cup grated grana padano cheese
3 tbsp ground biscotti
3 sprigs of watercress for garnish
Sautee onion in oil over medium low heat. Do not brown or burn the onions.
Once onions are soft add dried fruit.
Raise heat to medium. Add pine nuts and marsala with vanilla beans.
Add honey and demi glaze. The sauce will thicken and reduce. After about 3 minutes of it reducing add just boiled ravioli and gently mix.
Plate ravioli with sauce (remove the vanilla beans). Garnish with watercress and top with cheese and ground biscotti.
Serves 4 for appetizer or 2 for entrée.
For more information about the restaurant, please visit www.bocellirest.com
recipe, neighborhood eats, lauren glassberg
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 11 hurt 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 33 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 19 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25