Vote 08: Barack Obama wins Illinois
CHICAGO (KABC) -- Barack Obama won the Georgia and Illinois primary Tuesday night, the leading edge of a coast-to-coast struggle with Hillary Rodham Clinton for delegates in the grueling Democratic presidential campaign.
Obama's wins Tuesday night, as of 11 p.m. PST:
Alabama, Alaska (caucus), Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Utah
Senator Barack Obama and his wife Michelle cast their votes Tuesday. They were greeted by cheers as they arrived at the elementary school on Chicago's South Side.
The Democratic Presidential hopeful took time to speak with voters, shake hands, pose for pictures and even admire a baby in a stroller.
Just prior to the vote the candidate used national television as a last chance to push his issues.
Both candidates want universal coverage, but approach it differently. Clinton wants it mandated, but Obama says that is not the answer.
"If a mandate was a solution we could try that to solve homelessness by mandating that everyone buy a house. The reason they do not have a house is because they do not have the money. Our focus has been on reducing cost and making it available. I am confident that if people have a chance to buy high quality health care that is affordable, they will do so," said Obama.
Another key issue Obama addressed was the war in Iraq.
"I think it is important for us to say to the Iraqis that we are willing to help them and be partners with them, but we are not going to be there in perpetuity. I have been very clear that I am going to end this war. We will get combat troops out. I hope to do it by the end of 2009. We will have a strike force available to prevent terrorist camps from setting up in Iraq," said Obama.
The senator is in a tight race with rival Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination. Tuesday, after returning to his home state, Obama said "it's good to be home."
politics, david ono
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 31 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 18 min ago
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
25 min ago
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
1 min ago