Politics & Elections
State passes budget; Paterson vowing to veto all additions
ALBANY, N.Y. (WABC) -- It appears the state has a budget, but Governor Paterson is vowing to veto all 6,900 additions.
The Governor is calling the budget, which is 3 months late "Irresponsible, unbalanced and worse than continuing the miserable status quo."
With determination and flourish, the Governor vetoed education funding and he's promised many more, And promptly blasted the legislature for not doing what he ordered.
"It breaks my heart to do this, the only reason I'm doing it is because I think otherwise we are kicking the can down the road," said Paterson.
Earlier, Monday state Senators on a 32 to 29 vote passed their own budget.
That budget ignored the Governor's call to let grocery stores sell wine and they refused his plan to let state colleges set their own tuition.
But they did spend plenty, $419 million more than the governor's budget on public schools.
The Senate leader responded to the question to what would happen with the Gov. signing the veto.
I asked the senate leader& but what if the governor says no& with that veto?
"Well I'll cross that bridge when it happens, as I said before, my communication with the Governor's office does not stop because we passed this bills early this evening," said John Sampson.
Despite Democrats trying to sound nice about the Governor, he was having none of it.
He ripped fellow lawmakers for a budget now three months late.
"Now I am disappointed, stunned, and frankly chagrined with the legislature that is either unwilling or unable to address that the people of New York State has," added Paterson.
At least, though, state lawmakers prevented a Government shutdown.
Their votes today keep government running another day.
"It is not going to shut down, it better not shut down. I have too many friends, constituents, family members that are on the state payroll and they all need to eat," said Assemblyman Keith Wright.
new york state politics, new york state budget, albany, david paterson, politics & elections
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 46 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority 55 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 7 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
42 min ago