Politics & Elections
Tight race seen for New York attorney general
NEW YORK (WABC) -- State Sen. Eric Schneiderman won the Democratic nomination for attorney general in a close race with Nassau County prosecutor Kathleen Rice.
Schneiderman was back on the campaign trail Wednesday on the Upper West Side, thanking supporters and working on more votes.
Less than 24 hours after coming out on top in a bruising primary race, the progressive Democrat was drawing clear distinctions between himself and Republican challenger Dan Donovan.
"I'm one of the leaders of the reform movement. I didn't come up through a political machine and I think the voters will see the contrast clearly," he said.
Meanwhile, Republican Dan Donovan continued to question State Senator Schneiderman's ability to police a system he calls "dysfunctional."
"I don't know how he could root out corruption in state government if he's been part of it the last 12 years," Donovan said.
In a ringing endorsement, former New York City Mayor and Democrat Ed Koch insisted as attorney general, Donovan would provide much needed checks and balances.
"There should be somebody from another party, in this case the Republican party, looking over their shoulder," Koch said.
"This might be the most competitive race for November," Isaac Dovere said.
The editor of the Capitol/City Hall magazine says even though Democrats in New York traditionally have a sizeable edge, given Tuesday night's primary results, it's too early to pick a winner here.
"If Carl Paladino scored a 2 to 1 victory over rick Lazio last night, I don't think we know exactly where the mood of the voters is," Donovan said.
2010 vote, election, new york state politics, politics & elections, kemberly richardson
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 2 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary 2 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
39 min ago