Politics & Elections
Tight race seen for New York attorney general
NEW YORK (WABC) -- State Sen. Eric Schneiderman won the Democratic nomination for attorney general in a close race with Nassau County prosecutor Kathleen Rice.
Schneiderman was back on the campaign trail Wednesday on the Upper West Side, thanking supporters and working on more votes.
Less than 24 hours after coming out on top in a bruising primary race, the progressive Democrat was drawing clear distinctions between himself and Republican challenger Dan Donovan.
"I'm one of the leaders of the reform movement. I didn't come up through a political machine and I think the voters will see the contrast clearly," he said.
Meanwhile, Republican Dan Donovan continued to question State Senator Schneiderman's ability to police a system he calls "dysfunctional."
"I don't know how he could root out corruption in state government if he's been part of it the last 12 years," Donovan said.
In a ringing endorsement, former New York City Mayor and Democrat Ed Koch insisted as attorney general, Donovan would provide much needed checks and balances.
"There should be somebody from another party, in this case the Republican party, looking over their shoulder," Koch said.
"This might be the most competitive race for November," Isaac Dovere said.
The editor of the Capitol/City Hall magazine says even though Democrats in New York traditionally have a sizeable edge, given Tuesday night's primary results, it's too early to pick a winner here.
"If Carl Paladino scored a 2 to 1 victory over rick Lazio last night, I don't think we know exactly where the mood of the voters is," Donovan said.
2010 vote, election, new york state politics, politics & elections, kemberly richardson
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 11 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
11 min ago