Politics & Elections
Cuomo vows same-sex marriages in NY
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Sarah Jessica Parker brought star-power to Empire State Pride Agenda's Fall Dinner and Andrew Cuomo promised political power.
"I don't want to be the governor who just proposes marriage equality. I don't want to be the governor who lobbies for marriage equality. I don't want to be the governor who fights for marriage equality. I want to be the governor who signs the law that makes equality a reality in the state of New York," Cuomo said.
Cuomo's promise to legalize gay marriage is not new, but it had renewed resonance for New York's gay and lesbian community and their supporters.
Carl Paladino, Cuomo's Republican opponent, has declared his opposition to gay marriage. He apologized for remarks he made this past weekend that appeared to condemn homosexuality.
"I just think that my children and your children would be much better off and much more successful getting married and raising a family, and I don't want them brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option. It isn't," he said on Sunday.
Paladino's critics say it's left them both outraged and energized. They applauded Cuomo's declaration of making same-sex marriage a reality.
2010 vote, election, new york governor, carl paladino, andrew cuomo, politics & elections, n.j. burkett
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 13 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 54 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
13 min ago